Search This Beautiful Blog

Monday 19 August 2013

Multiple leonies

So as some people may know, I have multiple nationalities. I only have two passports ( Dutch and German ) I however also am starting to feel British since I have lived in the beautiful London for just over 3 years now. However a "cool" as it may sound it can be incredibly complicated for multiple reasons. Firstly due to not having and English passport many per often tell me that I cannot call myself British which can be hurtful at times. Also having multiple nationalities can be incredibly confusing. People often ask me: " what do you prefer London or the Netherlands?" Somehow this question is almost impossible to answer and often gives me the feeling if having two separate lives. Having to choose between a countries however often makes me feel like I don't have one country to settle into. It makes me feel like I don't really belong anywhere which is then reinforced by the whole travelling thing causing me to be in many different places or homes all the time. It always makes me wonder:
"Do we belong in one place?"
Do I have to choose between what I called home for 13 years and what I have called home for 3?? Being torn between multiple nationalities is not easy and while I call myself "European" I still want to feel a connection to one country, one home. Is it that hard to choose or is my heart telling me that I'm not ready to choose yet?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment